Dedicated Legal Representation for Staten Island Auto Accident Victims
Each month, dozens of people are injured or killed in Staten Island car accidents. Common contributing factors in these collisions are driver inattention, driver impairment, and inexperience. Most, if not all, of these crashes, can be attributed to negligence or recklessness of some kind.
At Ajlouny Injury Law, we know the financial, emotional, and physical hardship that an unexpected accident with injury can cause. We fight to ensure that car accident victims receive the compensation they deserve after a collision. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Staten Island car accident, contact our office at (718) 233-3913 for a free consultation.
Staten Island Car Accident Causes
According to a motor vehicle collision report filed by the City of New York Police Department, the most common cause of Staten Island car accidents on area highways, bridges, and tunnels is following too closely. Even at low speeds, collisions resulting from reckless driving such as following too closely can cause serious injury or death.
Leading contributing factors in Staten Island car accidents include:
- Following too closely
- Unsafe lane changing
- Driver inattention or distraction
- Driver inexperience
- Failure to yield right of way
- Fatigued driving
If you are involved in an accident, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced attorney. At Ajlouny Injury Law, we offer free legal advice for car accident victims. It is essential to contact our office as soon as possible after the accident, as you only have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit against a negligent driver.
What to Do If You Are Involved in an Auto Accident
In the unfortunate event that you are involved in an accident, there are certain steps that you can take to protect your recovery and your right to compensation.
If you are involved in a Staten Island car accident:
- Check for injuries. Check yourself and others for injuries. If you are able to move your vehicle, get to the side of the road for safety.
- Call 9-1-1. Calling 9-1-1 can help get aid for anyone that is injured. Law enforcement can dispatch emergency medical personnel to come to the scene. An officer will also conduct an investigation and produce a report that may aid you in your claim.
- Take pictures and videos. If you are not seriously injured or incapacitated, take photos at the crash site. Document as much as you can, including the road conditions, other vehicles involved, and any hazards that may be present.
- Get witness information. If there are any eyewitnesses, take down their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not believe that you are severely injured, you should still seek medical attention immediately. Some injuries may not be noticeable until hours or days after the collision.
- Contact an attorney. You should always consult with an attorney prior to making any statements or signing anything with the insurance company.
A Staten Island car accident lawyer can help make sure that you maximize your damages and receive the largest recovery possible.
Can I Sue for My Injuries?
New York is unique in that it is one of a dozen no-fault states in the country. What this means is that drivers who are injured in an accident can file a claim through their own insurance regardless of fault. However, there are limits as to how much you may receive for your injuries through the basic no-fault benefits.
No-fault benefits in New York are capped at $50,000. If your losses exceed the $50,000 limit, you may apply for Additional No-Fault benefits or go through your health insurance for medical expenses related to the accident. An attorney can help you determine how to file a claim and if you should pursue additional coverage.
What If I Am Seriously Injured?
If you are seriously injured, you may sue another driver who was at-fault for the accident that caused your injuries. New York defines serious injury under Section 5102 (d) of the Insurance Code.
Serious injuries may include those that result in:
- Bone fracture
- Pregnancy loss
- Loss of use of a body part, organ, or system
- Limitation of a body function
- An injury that limits your ability to engage in your normal daily activities
It is important to seek medical attention and continue treatment for your injuries. Any delays or gaps in treatment may reduce your chance of receiving full and fair compensation.
Injured in a Staten Island Car Accident? Contact Our Office Today.
Car accidents can affect your entire life. Sudden collisions can cause chaos and present unforeseen financial burdens. At Ajlouny Injury Law, we are here to help you get the recovery you need after an accident. Our lawyers offer free, no-obligation legal advice. We are honest, dedicated lawyers with proven case results.
If you have been injured in a Staten Island car accident, contact our office today at (718) 233-3913. Even if your case was rejected by another lawyer, we may be able to help. Call now to get started.